Thursday, July 15, 2010

A Successful Recovery

So, as you may have guessed from my absence (and for that, I do apologize), or to reiterate if you’ve been following me tweets, I got my data back on Friday, July 9th, and have been working to catch up on everything since that point. The professional service I’d entreated to help me out (I did my best not to whimper when I handed the technician my comatose drive) was able to make a full recovery, and so it’s time for some name-dropping (because you have to earn that):

Data Recovery Group – I was helped by a Mr. Ron Davis, who is, apparently, a regional manager, and was very courteous and helpful. The diagnosis on the drive was a single bad head, which was replaced, and then I brought in a second hard-drive for him to transfer the recovered data onto.

Hard-Drive

The place was like a doctor’s office (a hard-drive doctor), and there were several previous patients (I guess they’d donated their bodies to science) lying dissected on a table by the check-in desk. It was very educational; I think all physicians should look into it.

The office was complete with a sign-in sheet and paperwork to fill out. The front desk extended from wall-to-wall like a blockade. The only way through was to climb over, and it was at least chest-height. I assumed this was for when the “doctor” had to tell people that the patient hadn’t made it. I can imagine folks getting pretty pissed/irrational in their grief, and I wondered if the technician kept some sort of ranged weapon behind the desk. I almost asked him if they had any referrals for grief counselors.

But, as I’d noted previously in Put Your Data in The Cloud, I hit up Mozy.com for a 2-year subscription as soon as I got home. It was around $88USD after a 15% off + 1 Month Free coupon I found on RetailMeNot. (As of 07.15.10, it’s the one at the top, BESTOFMONTH. It says 20% off, but it’s actually 15%.) I downloaded the Mozy software, selected what I wanted it to backup, and let’errip. The little spinning circle of life that indicated someone knew how to use Flash progress activity churned to life, and… and now I know why it’s called “Mozy”:

mo·sey mo·zy / [moh-zee] –verb
1.to wander or shuffle about leisurely; stroll; saunter

In other words, this sucker is slow. And when it’s on, the internet has a bad case of the lags. Granted, this will only be the case for the duration of the initial backup, but, if I did my calculations right, that could take anywhere from 2-5 months to complete. Yeah.

Molasses

I’m only averaging 1.5 – 2 GBs of data uploaded per day at full speed, and that severely throttles bandwidth. Because of that, I’m only allowing Mozy to run at night when no one’s using the internet. Yes, I could decrease the amount of bandwidth Mozy’s allowed to use while uploading so it could run 24/7, but even then, the lag is just noticeable enough that the other household members get pissed, and shoot strings of frustrated, “R u d/ling sumthin!?” texts my way. I guess I’ll keep fiddling with it.

Once the initial download is completed, Mozy will run in the background (I’m hoping with little-to-no resource-hogging behavior), quietly backing up only the files that it detects have been updated since the last backup.

So, while the old, faulty hard-drive was KIA, I guess you could say “all’s well that ends well”. And while I may be significantly poorer because of my lack of foresight, whenever I lose money due to my own ineptitude, I like to look at it as the cost of a lesson well learned. In this case, the moral of the story is: always backup your data, because you’ll never know how much it’s worth until it’s (almost) gone.

4 comments:

  1. I always have this belief that as long as I keep your discs running, I am never gonna loose my data. How is data going to go away? I know its only me, that keeps me sane. lol

    Anyway, thanks to the internet addiction, almost all the critical data is online already, Gmail, Google Docs, and Hosting Server :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for my baby girl... OOOOO-RAAAH!! Happy for you! and the celebration strawberry cream pie was awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Mom Yes. Yes it was. Glad you enjoyed. :)

    @ArunBasilLal Don't say I didn't warn you, LOL. But seriously, unless you take a magnet to the drive, or something, I don't know that the data would ever be COMPLETELY lost. I think the problem is usually that it becomes inaccessible. A damaged platter, a fried logic board, or in my case, a bad head. If you're lucky, these things can be repaired/replaced and your data retrieved, but that can be pricey. You've got the right idea keeping most of your activity based in The Cloud already. I am still using an email client (Windows Live Mail) for all of my email accounts because I have several with several services. I'm wondering if I should start doing it all online, now, because it doesn't look like Mozy knows to backup my email folders. :\

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for the tip on the Mozy discount, i found another site with Mozy discounts here:

    http://couponswapper.com/coupon/mozy.com/

    ReplyDelete

say your words here...