Thursday, August 5, 2010

James and the Giant Peach on Blu-ray

Guess what came out of Blu-ray this past Tuesday?

James and the Giant Peach Blu-ray

Guess who hasn’t been able to pick it up, yet? :(

When I was a kid, my brothers and I used to watch this one over and over (on VHS, of course). I remember, this was pretty much the first movie my mom ever took us to see in the theater that was rated PG. Back then, PG-rated films were taboo with my family. We just didn’t go there. Sadly, if that film were re-rated by today’s standards, it would probably score a G.

However, I cannot seem to find this title for a decent price. Anywhere. Granted, Disney titles are almost always priced higher than other studios’ releases (even catalog releases like this one), but retailers usually offer some kind of special pricing during the first week. Typically, Disney titles can be had for somewhere around $20 right at release, and you end up getting them for $10 because Disney almost always offers a $10 coupon on their Blu-rays.

But, everywhere I go, $24.99… $24.99. Even Amazon is not giving me a break on this one. I may just have to fold and cough up the $15, which is right at my BD price limit, and doable, but…

In other news, I finally got around to seeing The Karate Kid (yes, the new one) last Wednesday. As always, a review will be forthcoming. This is just a filler post to keep the blog from dying completely. *cough*

4 comments:

  1. Was it really PG???? Trying to think why...
    was it the mysterious guy who released the little glow worms...a little scary, or the rhino scene where the parents of James were killed?... or was it the sheer wickedness of the aunts...? or maybe the suggestive bosomy scenes of the fatter one...gah...anyway...it was good...course there was the scary scene under the water with the java drinking grasshopper???cricket?? That movie was watched 50 times if it was watched once in our house..."My name is James...that's what they call me..." STILL ringing in my head.... Of course Gumby was watched WAY more times...

    ReplyDelete
  2. MPAA rated it PG for "some frightening images". Probably the scenes with the skeletons and the rhino. I can see that stuff being pretty frightening for younger kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That movie totally creeped me out as a child. Thanks so much for your comments today. They were so nice and thoughtful, and really made my day! I'm glad that you make the effort to be cheerful and kind despite it being difficult and uncomfortable for you. I'm sure you make a lot of people much happier because of it. And I'll tell you a secret, coming from a formerly anti-social (and shy) gal, the more you do it, the easier it becomes! That's me telling you that if I knew you in real life, I would not let you be anti-social. Haha! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, thank you, Chess. I've pretty much come to accept it as an inherent personality flaw, but you are a beacon of hope for change. :)

    And I know what you mean about the movie... I mean, it's about giant bugs. The creepiness factor is definitely valid. Also, the aunts were just awful, LOL. But in a good way... like they were true villains, and you knew they'd get their just deserts in the end. ;)

    ReplyDelete

say your words here...