Monday, June 21, 2010

Reel Time Updates: Toy Story 3

Friday the 18th was opening night for the third and final chapter in Pixar’s Toy Story saga. My fellow cinefreak and I were shooting for a 9:40pm 2D showing of the film, but I did not get away from work until almost 9:30pm, and so we ended up snagging tickets for a 10:05 showing in 3D. This turned out to be a really good thing.

Toy Story 3 (Woody) Poster

I’d purchased both Toy Story and Toy Story 2 on Blu-ray when they were released on March 23rd, both of which included “movie money”, good towards tickets for Toy Story 3. While the movie money certificate was only good for up to $8.50 of the ticket price, the ticket clerk was either clueless or very generous, and I didn’t pay a thing for my late/opening-night $13.25 adult 3D admission.

The Trailers: Most of the previews featured were for family friendly films, I suppose because we were at a “kids’” movie. I remember seeing: Cats & Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore (gah, so awful); Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga’Hoole (they didn’t even show the newer trailer!); The Smurfs (please end the lame reboots/adaptations); The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (saw it online earlier that day, but the theater trailer was in 3D!); Tangled (a.k.a. “Rapunzel”: already seen, but, again… 3D); The Sorcerer’s Apprentice (I could really hear Baruchel’s “Hiccup” voice coming out); and, of the course, the obligatory Despicable Me trailer (Universal is just promoting the crap outta that thing).

My Take on Toy Story 3: As various trailers emerged for this film in late 2009/early 2010, the Pixar magic was evident, but I’ll admit I had some doubts. Sneak peeks included a lot of explosions and mayhem that seemed a little unrealistic in the Toy Story world I’d come to know and love. These doubts were dispelled in a brilliant opening sequence that basically combined those of the first and second films in story and style, respectively.

If you’ve seen the trailers, you know the film’s basic storyline: the toys’ owner, Andy, is leaving for college, and so the Toy Story gang ends up getting donated to a local daycare center. While initially excited about their new circumstances (getting played with all day, everyday), the toys soon discover that Sunnyside Daycare is not all it was cracked up to be. Throughout various trials and tribulations, the toys must once again figure out how to extricate themselves from the mess they’ve landed in, and find their way back to Andy (before he leaves for college).

Toy Story 3 - Andy

We are introduced to many new toy characters throughout the film, and while some felt that there were too many new faces to keep up with, each one added to the story in their own way. The humor was on-par with most of Pixar’s films, with a lot of kid-friendly goofiness, and a little “over their heads” humor for older viewers. The action was neither dull nor over-the-top, and the elements of the pint-sized protagonists’ world were used realistically, and to their full advantage. I never found myself thinking, “Wow, that was kinda dumb,” like I so often do with sequels trying to live up to their predecessors.

A lot of reviews I’ve seen for this movie put a lot of focus on the end of the film, and rightfully so. In the (supposedly) last film of a trilogy, there must be a definitive conclusion that leaves viewers satisfied. If the writers can throw in a little respectful reminiscing or jerk a few tears, all the better (oh, yes… I got choked up). The film’s closing sequence was very well done, and I think most viewers will be happy with it.

I only had a couple of very minor complaints (not even really complaints) about Toy Story 3. The absence of Jim Varney (succumbed to lung cancer in 2000) as the voice of Slinky Dog was very apparent, though newcomer Blake Clark obviously did his best to embody the stretchy canine with a southern drawl. The other thing I noted was that the main antagonist in the third film had a very similar story, personality and demise as Stinky Pete from Toy Story 2. There was a great likeness between the two characters, and while this was not necessarily a bad thing (maybe it was intentional), I did wonder if anyone else noticed.

Overall, I urge those who haven’t already indulged to go and catch this three-quel on the big screen. Also, the 3D version is highly recommend. One of the things I dislike about 3D films is when you become so quickly accustomed to that third dimension, you’d forget that you were even at a 3D screening except for the clunky glasses sitting on your face. In these cases, the added dimension has no life, and was not worth the higher admission price. Toy Story 3 is not one of those films. There are enough “wow!” moments where the 3D really pops to justify the higher price, and it definitely adds to the experience.

Oh, and make sure you hit the theater early enough to catch this film’s short: Day & Night. It’s brilliant, and portrays a heartfelt, crystal-clear lesson about understanding those who are different from us.

Pixar's Day & Night

6 comments:

  1. Oh boy, now I really really want to see it. Maybe I shouldn't wait til the cheap theater. they may not show it in 3-D!!! oh no!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to see it! I really do! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did see it on Tuesday night! Thoroughly enjoyed it! Number 2 is still my fave, but this one was lovely. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. YaY, you saw it! Glad you liked... I don't think I can pick a favorite. I guess I like the entire "Toy Story saga" as a whole. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw it & Knight & Day last night which I'll probably get more into on my next blog post (which will most likely be Saturday). I thought it was great but it was the weakest of the 3 movies, so I'm glad they aren't making anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are always rumors (actually, I think there's talk of a Toy Story short film to head up a future Pixar production), but I hope they'll quit while they're ahead as well. Bring on the "Knight & Day" review. ;)

    ReplyDelete

say your words here...