Thursday, June 10, 2010

Top 10 Anticipated Films of Summer, Fall 2010

Top 10 Anticipated Films of Summer-Fall 2010

PLEASE NOTE: The films are numbered in order of release date, not in order of personal preference or level of anticipation. The films were selected based on my immediate and high level of interest upon hearing about them, viewing a trailer, or viewing stills and a synopsis.

BREAKDOWN

01) The Karate Kid (07.11.10) – It is important to note that I have never seen the 1984 version of this film, or any of it’s sequels. Initially, the focal point of my interest was Jaden Smith. I really enjoyed his performance—alongside his dad, Will Smith—in Pursuit of Happyness, as well as his work with Keanu Reeves in the 2008 version of The Day the Earth Stood Still. Jaden appears to be a very promising young actor, and his role in the updated “Karate Kid” film puts a lot of demands on him, both physically, and because he’s taking on a reboot of what some consider to be a classic movie.

02) Toy Story 3 (06.18.10) – Pixar. Enough said.

03) The Last Airbender (07.02.10) – I am a fan of M. Night Shyamalan. I am also a fan of the Nickelodeon series that this movie is based on. (If you haven’t seen the Avatar: The Last Airbender series, do whatever you have to to get your hands on a copy of all three seasons on DVD and watch it. Now. Even if you don’t plan on seeing the film.) While I know that Shyamalan is a big turn-off for some people, and while he would not have been my first choice to helm this adaptation, I’m extremely curious to see what he’s done with what is slated to be the first film in a trilogy; one per season of the show.

04) Despicable Me (07.09.10) – Universal Pictures is not exactly known for its CGI features, but everyone else has jumped on that ride, so it was really only a matter of time. Ever since I caught the first teaser trailer for the film, which ended with a snazzy beat from hip hop artist Pharrell, I’ve wanted to see more. And, I mean, Steve Carell, Jason Segel, Kristen Wiig, Julie Andrews… what’s not to like?

05) Inception (07.16.10) – Christopher Nolan. Enough said. Well… okay, the concept, visuals and cast list are also awesome. Also, I think I’d buy a ticket just to go and hear that spooky/awesome bass horn blast in theater surround sound.

06) The Expendables (08.13.10) – I think I was browsing through trailers via the iTunes web site (the one and only reason I ever visit), and saw the red and black “skull poster” for this film. The poster art was pretty awesome in and of itself, but when I looked closer and began to read some of the names associated with the project, I nearly choked with excitement, and had to go double-check on IMDb to verify that such an unbelievably friggin’ awesome cast list had indeed been put together. Oh, yes, they did.

The Expendables Poster

07) Centurion (08.27.10) – I only recently heard about this film (made in Spain) and saw the trailer for it, but I was intrigued and initial reviews have been good. Movies based in/on ancient Rome are always cool. (Okay, okay… I just wanted to see more of Olga Kurylenko as a woad-wearing bounty hunter chick.)

08) Megamind (11.05.10) – Dreamworks has really begun to impress with their last several CGI endeavors, specifically Kung Fu Panda and How to Train Your Dragon (still want/need to see the latter). While Universal’s Despicable Me will have beat Dreamworks to the punch with the whole super-villain-turned-good-guy thing in this year’s CGI line-up (why do they always play the copycat game?), I want to see if Dreamworks has managed to keep up their winning streak.

09) Tangled (11.24.10) – Actually, it’s Rapunzel. The Disney marketing team has just lapsed into a bout of temporary insanity, and—any time now—are gonna be all, “Psyche! You didn’t really think we were going to replace the classic title of a classic fairy tale with some kind of 21st century, tweenie, horror-title-wannabe name, did you?” Other than the title working title, anything from Disney animated is a must-see for me.

10) The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (12.10.10) – Besides the fact the The Voyage of the Dawn Treader was my favorite book in C.S. Lewis’ Chronicles of Narnia series, I thought the first two films were awesome. I was devastated when Disney pulled out of the “Narnia” series, leaving it in limbo. That turned out to be only a temporary setback, however. Fox FTW.

RUNNERS UP

These titles didn’t make my top ten list, but are still worth mentioning:

  • Jonah Hex
  • Knight and Day
  • Salt
  • Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps
  • Buried
  • Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
  • Morning Glory

Knight and Day Poster

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm. I would like to see some of those! Probably about the time Justin gets back - dollar fifty theater...hahah....
    Specially>>> Toy Story III.
    But Karate Kid too, since I saw the first one.
    And too, Dawn Treader! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dawn Treader was my fave book in the series as well. Loved the Monopods. :-)

    I've never heard of some of these films, but I'll be checking back here to remember.

    ReplyDelete

say your words here...